Home • Products • Minerals » Silica
is abundantly formed on the earth crust as sand and quartz. industrial silica is a white powdery substance and solid in its pure state. It is tetrahedral in its molecular shape. We are one of the best silica manufacturers and suppliers in India. The silica is used as raw material for aerogel in spacecrafts.
The chemical compound silicon dioxide, also known as silica or silox (from the Latin "silex"), is an oxide of silicon, chemical formula SiO, and has been known for its hardness since the 9th century. Silica is most commonly found in nature as sand or quartz, as well as in the cell walls of diatoms. It is a principal component of most types of glass and substances such as concrete. Silica is the most abundant mineral in the earth's crust.
Silica is manufactured in several forms including:
- Glass (a colorless, high-purity form is called fused silica)
- Synthetic amorphous silica, silica gel
- Pyrogenic silica (sometimes called fumed silica or silica fume)
It is used in the production of various products.
- Inexpensive soda-lime glass is the most common and typically found in drinking glasses, bottles, and windows.
- A raw material for many whiteware ceramics such as earthenware, stoneware and porcelain.
- A raw material for the production of Portland cement.
- A food additive, primarily as a flow agent in powdered foods, or to absorb water (see the ingredients list for).
- The natural ("native") oxide coating that grows on silicon is hugely beneficial in microelectronics. It is a superior electric insulator, with high chemical stability. In electrical applications, it can protect the silicon, store charge, block current, and even act as a controlled pathway to allow small currents to flow through a device. At room temperature, however, it grows extremely slowly, and so to manufacture such oxide layers, the traditional method has been heating of silicon in high-temperature furnaces within an oxygen ambient (thermal oxidation).
- Raw material for aerogel in the stardust.